Tuesday 26 June 2012

Wimbledon has arrived, and that means strawberries!

Unfortunately this year I am not going to be able to make it to the Wimbeldon tennis championships, which is a real shame as this is usually the highlight of the sporting calender for me. However, that does not mean that I can't enjoy all of the action from SW19 from the comfort of my living room while I am working on my laptop. One other thing that I would also have been enjoying there, along with the glut of top class tennis, is some strawberries!

Strawberries are without a doubt my favorite fruit, and it is a shame that they only pop up in England for a few months over the summer, and then seem to disappear for months on end. They are one of few foods that I can literally taste with my eyes, and even looking at pictures of them online makes me hungry! At Wimbledon they go through a horrendous amount of strawberries,  some 35 tonnes I believe, over the two weeks that the tournament is on. That and a hell of a lot of cream to go with them too, as this tasty combination are synonymous with Britain's biggest annual sporting event.

In a 5 oz cup of strawberries there are some 45 calories, which isn't a lot, but then when you go adding cream or sugar to them, that tasty treat becomes bulging with calories. Just one tablespoon of sugar to go on your 5 oz portion has another 45 calories in, and in a serving of fresh double cream there are several hundred calories. So unless you like your strawberries on their own, you could be exceeding 400 calories!

Fortunately I don't do cream, and I will have to limit the sugar to a teaspoon, which itself is 16 calories. So 60 calories a couple of times over the two weeks will just have to be a treat, or currently a replacement, for the beer consumed while the European football championships were on. I think once the summer of sport is over I will need to be getting back on that exercise bike.

To find out about strawberry nutrition facts and calories check out my page devoted to the sumptuous fruit on my websites.



No comments:

Post a Comment