Monday 28 May 2012

What is a low calorie cereal?

A couple of posts ago I spoke about how important breakfast is to our diet. What I want to do briefly here is touch on that by covering low calorie cereals, something that I have been looking at myself recently.

I have never been a huge fan of cereal, simply because I can't stand milk and that always made it difficult to eat. Either I used water, yes as stupid as that sounds, or a dribble of milk that was absorbed so I couldn't taste it. Neither of these ideas worked particularly well, but lately I have given in and am trying to see where my limit is when it comes to milk on cereal. There seems to be so many different breakfast cereals out there though so I had to take a careful look around for a low calorie cereal at the supermarket.

The best one that I found was Kellog's all bran, which for a 60g serving(2.11oz) has just under 200 calories in. I chop up a small banana and add this to the mix and that is an extra 90 calories, as well as a dash of milk, and I mean a dash, making the total around about 300 calories. Add a big glass of water (which of course does not contain any calories) and that is a simple but effective breakfast. I am getting energy from the carbs in the cereal, as well as fiber and protein. The banana helps my energy levels as it contains potassium, as well as vitamin C and vitamin B6. This is a great kick start to the day for me so no reason that it can't do the same for you.

Another great low calorie cereal option from Kellog's is their fruit and fiber cereal, this has more calories in but is also more nutritious due to the added ingredients. In a 60g bowl of fruit and fiber you can expect to consume around about 320 calories. But of course there is no need to add the banana as you already have fruit mixed in with it.

Both of these low calorie cereals are wonderful sources of dietary fiber, which is incredibly important to the upkeep of your body.

If you have a bit of room in your calorie allowance and find these cereals, or any other low calorie cereal that you might eat, to be a bit dull and boring, you can sweeten them up with a teaspoon of sugar. This will add an extra 16 sugar calories to the mix, and will also help with an energy boost!

If neither of these cereals are available where you shop, there are bound to be other brand alternatives. To be sure how many calories are in the cereal that you are looking at, always check the nutritional information on the packaging. This information is there, along with information on all of the other nutrients that it holds.

For more information on the calories found in cereal and other everyday foods, check out my website at the link below, where you will find nothing but free and helpful information.

http://www.calories-in-foods.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment